Keep and Share logo     Log In  |  Mobile View  |  Help  
Select a Color
How To Bring Your Non-American Relatives To The United States

Creation date: Sep 6, 2022 1:27pm     Last modified date: Sep 6, 2022 1:27pm   Last visit date: Jul 11, 2024 8:10pm
1 / 20 posts
Sep 6, 2022  ( 1 post )  
Lincoln Law (lincolnlawfirm1)

The Process Of Bringing Non-American Relatives To The United States

If you are an American citizen or a lawfully permanent resident, you may be able to bring your non-American relatives to the United States legally. 


There are many different ways to do this, and working with an immigration attorney who can help guide you through the process is essential. This article discusses the options available to you and how to bring your loved ones over!


The U.S. Immigration System Brings Family Together

The immigration system in the United States brings families together. American citizens and lawfully permanent residents (LPRs) can sponsor their spouses, children, parents, and siblings for green cards. The process of sponsoring a family member is called “family-based immigration.”


Limits To The Family-Based Immigration

While one of the main principles of the U.S. Immigration System is reuniting families, it has its limitations. American citizens can sponsor their spouses, children, and parents for immigration. LPRs can only sponsor their spouses and unmarried children for immigration.


There are two types of family-based immigration: immediate and preferred relatives. Immediate relatives are spouses, children (unmarried and under 21 years old), and parents of U.S. citizens. 


There is no limit on the number of visas available for immediate relatives, meaning they do not have to wait in line for a visa. Preference relatives are unmarried children over 21 years old, married children of any age, brothers and sisters of US citizens, and adult children of LPRs. 


A limited number of visas are available for preference relatives, so they have to wait in line for a visa. The waiting time depends on the visa demand and the country of origin.


The Process of Family-Based Immigration 

There are four steps in the process of family-based immigration: petitioning, applying, interviewing, and obtaining a green card. 


Step One: Petitioning


The first step is to file a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The petitioner must be either an American citizen or an LPR. If you are an American citizen, you can file a petition for your spouse, child, or parent. If you are an LPR, you can only file a petition for your spouse or unmarried child.


Step Two: Applying


Once the petition is approved, the next step is to apply for a visa. If you are an American citizen, you can apply for your spouse or child’s visa through the U.S. Department of State’s website. If you are an LPR, you must file your application with the USCIS.


Step Three: Interviewing

After applying, there will be an interview at either a US embassy or consulate abroad or a USCIS office in the United States. The interview aims to determine if the applicant is eligible for immigration and does not pose a risk to national security.


Step Four: Obtaining A Green Card


The final step is getting a green card, which allows the immigrant to live and work in the United States permanently. If the immigrant is already in the United States, they will file for a green card with the USCIS. If the immigrant is outside the United States, they will go through consular processing at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.


The immigration process can be long and complicated, but working with an immigration attorney can help make it easier. An immigration attorney can help you navigate and correctly complete the process. Contact an immigration attorney today to get started!


The Lincoln-Goldfinch Law Firm 

The Lincoln-Goldfinch Law Firm has a team of experienced immigration attorneys who can guide you through the family-based immigration process. They understand how important it is to reunite families and will do everything they can to help you bring your loved ones to the United States. Contact them today to schedule a consultation!


Read More

Driving Direction

Lincoln-Goldfinch Law on Local Featured


Lincoln-Goldfinch Law
1005 E 40th St. 
Austin, TX 78751
(855) 502-0555