Keep and Share logo     Log In  |  Mobile View  |  Help  
Select a Color
Change F1 Visa To Green Card In Transforming Your Status

Creation date: Feb 19, 2024 8:32am     Last modified date: Feb 19, 2024 8:32am   Last visit date: Jul 12, 2024 12:20am
3 / 20 posts
Feb 19, 2024  ( 1 post, 2 replies latest Jul 10, 2024 )  
Lozano Law Firm (lozanolawfirm11)

To change F1 visa to green card is a crucial step for international students. This is if they aim to establish a lasting presence in the United States. It provides stability, increased job opportunities, access to education benefits, and the ability to reunite with family members. Additionally, it serves as a pathway to U.S. citizenship, offering a range of privileges and protections. 


In this article, you will explore the requirements of changing your F1 visa to a green card. It also highlights the potential challenges and considerations you might encounter. Consult a f1 visa attorney now.

Requirements To Change F1 Visa To Green Card

Many international students want to obtain a green card after their studies in the United States. The process can be complex and needs planning and attention. Before you can apply for a green card, you must meet several requirements.

Labor Certification

Your employer may need to obtain a labor certification from the Department of Labor. You need to demonstrate that no qualified U.S. workers are available for the job you intend to fill.

Priority Date

Your petition's filing date establishes your place in line for a green card.

 Depending on your category and country of birth, there may be a backlog in visa availability. It means you may have to wait for your priority date to become current before you can apply for a green card.


You will need someone to file a petition on your behalf. For employment-based immigration, your employer typically files an immigrant petition, such as Form I-140. In family-based immigration, a family member who is a permanent resident submits a petition, typically using Form I-130.

Adjustment Of Status Application

Once approved, you can apply for an adjustment of status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). To do this, you need to submit Form I-485. It is used to request a change from nonimmigrant status to that of a lawful permanent resident. 

Biometrics Appointment

As part of the adjustment of status process, you will need to attend a biometrics appointment. During this appointment, the USCIS will take your fingerprints, photographs, and signature for background checks and identification purposes.


USCIS may require you to attend an interview depending on the circumstances of your application. The interview verifies the information provided in your application and assesses your eligibility for a green card.


These requirements are part of the overall process to change from an F1 visa to a green card. Seeking advice from an attorney at Lozano Law Firm can help you understand and fulfill all the requirements. However, you also need to understand the challenges you may encounter during the process.

Potential Challenges And Consideration

Changing from an F1 visa to a green card can vary depending on individual circumstances. It includes the complex application process, meeting eligibility criteria, and language barriers.


If someone lacks fluency in English, it can result in application errors or misunderstandings of requirements.


The process can have significant financial implications, including filing fees and the potential cost of hiring an immigration attorney. Additionally, applicants must show they can support themselves in the United States without relying on government assistance. This requirement often poses difficulties, especially for those without family members willing to sponsor their applications.


Other challenges include long wait times, especially for individuals from countries with high demand. Additionally, changes in immigration policies can affect the success of the application. Before starting the transition, seeking proper guidance and carefully considering various factors is crucial.


International students need to fulfill several requirements to change from an F1 visa to a green card. You must obtain labor certification for employment-based immigration and establish a priority date. You need to have someone file a petition on your behalf and submit an adjustment of status application. Consult with the attorneys at Lozano Law Firm


You also need to attend a biometrics appointment and potentially go through an interview process. However, challenges like language barriers, financial implications, and changes in immigration policies can arise. It is important to seek guidance and carefully consider these factors to ensure a successful transition.



More Info

Lozano Law Firm in Blog Bang Boom

Driving Directions




Lozano Law Firm
5718 University Heights Blvd #104
San Antonio, TX 78249
(210) 899-2290

Daniel Brian (calios)

Hi everyone!!! I am planning a trip to the Philippines and am trying to figure out how to get a visa for US citizens. Has anyone gone through this process yet? What documents do I need to gather and what steps to take? Any information and advice would be appreciated.

W W (williamwebecomr)

Getting a philippines visa for us citizens is fairly easy and if you plan to travel for up to 30 days, you do not need a visa it is enough to have a passport valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry for a longer stay will require a tourist visa, which can be issued at the consulate or embassy of the Philippines you will need a completed application form, passport photos, and proof of financial solvency.