Provides a quick summary of the key books that inspired Dan Palanza's and my work.
Dan introduced several (many of them short) books to me early on. These have helped me to grow in many ways related to both my Double Entry Bookkeeping work and also with my informatics work at WHOI.
As I read and re-read each of these books the same core messages began to appear. Eventually I found new books and passed them to Dan -- some of which he accepted, others of which he put aside.
The link associated with the book title points to more info about it. Links in the square brackets show buying-places. Short one-liner underneath each book gives hint as to meaning of book to DEB.
Books that Dan found and shared with me
- Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (by Harold Abelson, Gerald Jay Sussman (Authors), Julie Sussman (Contributor)) [amazon]
- Dan's DEB software was successfully implemented after Dan read this book and realized Framework language (FRED) was LISP-based
- A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction (by Christopher Alexander) [amazon]
- Dan's DEB works on patterns, book was inspiration for software patterns research
- How Writing Came About (by Denise Schmant-Besserat) [amazon]
- Dan's DEB findings tie closely to Besserat's findings about evolution of writing
- Understanding Thermodynamics (by H.C. Van Ness) [amazon]
- Dan's DEB is a form of thermodynamics, this book explains it in a way making this more apparent
- Gödel's Proof Revised Edition (by Nagel, Newman, Edited by Hofstadter) [amazon]
- Dan's DEB avoids the problem of mistaking a thing with symbol-for-thing made by Goedel
- Common as Air: Revolution, Art, and Ownership (by Hyde Lewis) [amazon]
- Dan's DEB embraces the cultural/economic commons as an integral part
- Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas (by Elaine Pagels) [amazon]
- Dan's DEB is inspired by the analog|digital relationship between Gospels of John|Thomas
- The I Ching, or, Book of Changes (by Richard Wilhelm and translated by Baynes) [amazon]
- Dan's DEB account types relate to trigrams
Books that Andy found and shared with Dan
- Einstein and the Ether (by Ludwik Kostro) [amazon]
- Dan's DEB is based on a new model/description of Einstein's ether pattern he has discovered
- Double Entry: How the Merchants of Venice Created Modern Finance (by Jane Gleeson-White) [amazon]
- Luca's DEB's history from 1400s to today, a very enjoyable read!
- Six Capitals: The revolution capitalism has to have – or can accountants save the planet? (by Jane Gleeson-White) [amazon]
- Andy's 3WB derives it's name from this book and focuses on a system to record multiple capital types as a key use-case.
- Vedanta Treatise The Eternities (by A.Parthasarathy) [amazon]
- Andy's 3WB also might be a way of documenting observations that closely follows Vedanta Theory of Perception
- The Essential David Bohm (by Lee Nichol (editor)) [amazon]
- Andy's 3WB looks to Bohm's concept of "implicate order" for hints in applying 3WB to scientific observation.
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (by Swami Satchidananda) [amazon]
- Andy's 3WB was developed by him partially by following a more ancient understanding of Yoga
Other Books Andy really likes!!
- Data and Reality: A Timeless Perspective on Perceiving and Managing Information in our Imprecise World (by William Kent Updated by Steve Hoberman) [amazon]
- The first chapter of this is a timeless discussion of entity, identity, oneness, sameness, category, etc. It's beautiful.
- Irving J. Lee Lectures "Making Sense" [youtube]
- Great lectures about General Semantics
- 5th Discipline (Peter Senge)
- Money can Heal (Sigfried Finser)
- Synchronicity: The Marriage of Matter and Psyche (F. David Peat) [amazon]
Version 0.2 -November 21, 2015
- need Dan to review this, "Dan's DEB" comments may be wrong, ask him to re-order books in his list