Jesus: How to Experience
(A1) God’s Help & Peace
“So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? … What will we wear?’ ... Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and [God] will give you everything you need.” Matthew 6:31-33 (the book of Matthew in the Bible, chapter 6 verses 31-33)
- Jesus promises God will "give you everything you need" if we do what two things?
- What does it mean to "Seek the Kingdom of God"?
- What does it mean to seek the Kingdom of God "above all else"?
- What does it mean if we "live righteously"?
- If we are experiencing God giving us everything we need then we won't worry about "What will we ..." because we'll know that God will give us everything we need. We'll have God's peace instead of worry.
- Isaiah 26:3 "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!"
- What will God give to those "who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!"?
(A2) God’s Protection & Guidance
“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12
- Jesus promises us the light of life if we do what?
- His light will protect us by revealing the dangers of life (we'll be able to see what is evil).
- His light will Guide us in the direction that is best for us.
- Psalm 23:1,4 "The Lord is my shepherd; ... Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me."
- Why will those who have made God their 'shepherd' not be afraid?
(A3) God’s Love & Care
“Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, [God] will love them.” John 14:21
- Jesus promises us God's love if we do what?
- 1 Peter 5:7 "Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you."
- Why are followers of Jesus to give ALL of their worries and cares to God?
(A4) Freedom from Sin's Power
“You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. … and the truth will set you free.” John 8:31-32
- Jesus promises us being 'set you free' (freedom from sin's power) if we do what?
- Romans 6:7 "For when we died with Christ [baptism] we were set free from the power of sin."
- What are followers of Jesus set free from?
- Psalm 119:11 "I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you."
- What enables us not to sin
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 "The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure."What does God promise to do?
(A5) Living Forever in Heaven
“anyone who believes in God’s Son has eternal life. Anyone who doesn’t obey the Son will never experience eternal life but remains under God’s angry judgment.” John 3:36
- Jesus promises us 'eternal life' (living forever in heaven) if we do what?
- John 5:24 "I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life."
- Jesus promises us 'eternal life' if we do what?
(B1) Believe Jesus is God
“you will die [unforgiven and condemned] in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am the One [I claim to be], you will die in your sins.” John 8:24
- What does Jesus say will happen to those who don't believe him?
- John 20:27b-28 Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe! “My Lord and my God!” Thomas exclaimed.
- After Jesus was resurrected from the dead what did Jesus command his apostle Thomas to do?
- What two things did Thomas respond by believing in?
- Colossians 1:15-16a Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation, 16 for through him God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth.
- How is Jesus Christ described?
- Do you believe Jesus is God?
(B2) Believe Jesus' Death Saves
"so the Son of Man [Jesus] must be lifted up [die on the cross for our sins], so that everyone who believes in him will have eternal life." John 3:14-15
- Trust Jesus death saves us means trusting in Jesus Christ ALONE for our eternal life. This means trusting in what He has done for us on the cross rather than in what we have done.
- 1 Peter 3:18a Christ suffered for our sins once for all time. He never sinned, but he died for sinners to bring you safely home to God.
- Who died in our place?
- Why did he die?
- Acts 1:3a During the forty days after he suffered and died, he appeared to the apostles ... and he proved to them in many ways that he was actually alive.
- His resurrection proved that he was God and that he had suffered the punishment we deserved in our place.
- John 14:6 "Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.'"
- According to Jesus, is Jesus the only way to God?
- Do you believe Jesus' death can save you?
(B3) Turn from Sin
“There is forgiveness of sins for all who repent.” Luke 24:47
- What must one do to receive forgiveness of sins?
- Luke 13:3 "And you will perish, too, unless you repent of your sins and turn to God."
- What happens to those who don't repent of their sins?
- Acts 3:19 "Now repent of your sins and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped away."
- What must one do to have their sins wiped away.
- Are you willing to turn from your sin?
(B4) Live to Follow & Serve Jesus
See #A1-A5 on other side for what we must do to follow Jesus. How much do we need to follow and serve Jesus? “If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it.” Mark 8:35
- What are we to give up our lives for?
- John 12:25-26 "Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity. Anyone who wants to serve me must follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves me."
- Do you want God to honor you?
- What must one do to be honored by God?
- Does the first 2 sentences describe the intensity of how much we need to follow and serve Jesus?
- Ephesians 2:8-9 "God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God... so none of us can boast about it."
- What is a gift from God?
- What does one need to do?
- Are you willing to Follow & Serve Jesus?
- Do you want to respond to Jesus by placing your trust in Him as our Savior and Lord, by turning from your sins to live to follow and serve Jesus?
- If yes, then tell God that. A suggested prayer is "Lord Jesus, I'm sorry for going my own way. Please forgive me for all my sin. Thank you for dying on the cross to pay for my sin. I turn from my sin and will now follow and serve you as my savior and Lord."
More at: www.JesusMainMessage.com