How to be saved --Romans 10:9
If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord
and believe in your heart
that God raised him from the dead,
you will be saved. NLT
Show context Romans 10:8-12?
Add 1 Cor 15:1-10 for what to believe
How can one openly declare?
Does this include baptism?
Why do you think it has to be an 'open' declaration?
Prov 28:13 How to succeed in life
How hard are you trying to turn from your sins?
(A2) This is a 12 week course.
(A3) If you see [ ] in verses that means that has been added to help understand (like in the Amplified Bible)
(A4) There are things we need to believe and there are things we need to do. This study will cover:
(1) What are the things we need to believe?
(2) What are the things we need to do?
(3) What are we saved from?
(4) What are we saved to?
(B1) If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord
(B2) Mark 5:19-20 18 As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon possessed begged to go with him. 19 But Jesus said, “No, go home to your family, and tell them everything the Lord has done for you and how merciful he has been.” 20 So the man started off to visit the Ten Towns of that region and began to proclaim the great things Jesus had done for him; and everyone was amazed at what he told them.
(1) In v19-20 who are some of the people we are to tell about our Lord Jesus?
(B3) Acts 10:24-27 24 They arrived in Caesarea the following day. Cornelius was waiting for them and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25 As Peter entered his home, Cornelius fell at his feet and worshiped him. 26 But Peter pulled him up and said, “Stand up! I’m a human being just like you!” 27 So they talked together and went inside, where many others were assembled.
(1) In v24 who are some of the people we are to tell about our Lord Jesus?
(B4) Luke 6:46-49 46 So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say? 47 I will show you what it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it. 48 It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built. 49 But anyone who hears and doesn’t obey is like a person who builds a house right on the ground, without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins.
(1) In v47-48 what happens to the person who follows Jesus' teachings?
(2) In v49 what happens to the person who doesn't obey Jesus' teachings?
(3) In v46 is calling Jesus the Lord of the universe and of you enough?
(C1) and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead,
(C2) Read the Do You Know pamphlet. This will clearly explain what we need to believe.
(1) What are the 5 things we need to know? (see pages 6,8,10,12,14)
(2) What are the 4 things we need to do? (see pages 16-17)
(3) Read out loud the prayer of commitment on page 19. Have you ever told God that before? If not, would you like to make that commitment to God now?
(D1) You will be saved.
(D2) Saved from in our next life: Revelation 20:11-15 And I saw a great white throne and the one sitting on it. The earth and sky fled from his presence, but they found no place to hide. 12 I saw the dead, both great and small, standing before God’s throne. And the books were opened, including the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to what they had done, as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up its dead, and death and the grave gave up their dead. And all were judged according to their deeds. 14 Then death and the grave were thrown into the lake of fire. This lake of fire is the second death. 15 And anyone whose name was not found recorded in the Book of Life was thrown into the lake of fire.
(1) In v15 what are we saved from?
(D3) Saved from in our current life: Galatians 5:16-21 So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. 17 The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. 18 But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses. 19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
(1) In v19-21 what are we saved from?
(D4) Saved to in our next life: Revelation 21:1-4 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone. 2 And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.
3 I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, “Look, God’s home is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them. 4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.”
(1) In v3-4 what will we experience in heaven?
(D5) Saved to in our current life: Galatians 5:22-25 22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. 25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives.
(1) In v22-25 what are we now able to do?
(2) Who needs to hear this?
(3) As Jesus made VERY clear in Luke 6:46-49 we need to follow and obey what he has taught us.
(4) Therefore, if you are a follower of Jesus, who can you 'openly declare' the Gospel to this week? Maybe send the link to the Do You Know page.
(5) A Key to doing is to remember. Will you memorize this verse this week?
(6) Go over the keys to memorizing a verse.
(J1) OPTIONAL More in depth
What we are saved to:
- Philippians 3:20-21 But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior.  He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same power with which he will bring everything under his control. NLT
- NIV If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
- NLT If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.