TEACH MORE people Jesus' Sermon - Matthew 5:2
Session 5 Index Session 7
(A1) Start by sincerely asking God to open your mind and tell him you'll do Psalm 119:34 "Give me understanding and I will obey your instructions; I will put them into practice with all my heart."
(A2) Did you read through session 6 and answer the questions? The more time and effort you put into the study the more impact it'll have on your and your friend's lives.
(A3) How many days did you spend at least a few minutes reading the Bible? How many days did you send a text of the Bible verse you liked the most from your reading?
(A4) Did you make you weekly phone call to encourage and pray with the person that was on your right?
(A5) "Born to Reproduce" message by Dawson Trotman - Messages
(1) Did you listen to the message?
(2) What did you think of it?
(3) Only a few things will ever keep human beings from multiplying themselves in the physical realm.
(3.1) If a couple is not united: He should realize that he is to live in union with Jesus Christ if he is going to win others to the Savior.
(3.2) Disease: In the spiritual realm sin, is the disease that can keep one from winning the lost.
(3.3) Immaturity: Because they were babes, they were immature, incapable of spiritual reproduction.
(4) In the physical realm when your children have children, you become a grandparent. Your parents are then great-grandparents, and theirs are great-great-grandparents. And so it should be in the spiritual.
(5) We taught Pat and some of the others, and they in turn taught the girls whom they led to Christ. Some of these have led still other girls to Christ, and they too are training their friends. Patricia is is a great-grandmother already, though she is only about a year and four months old in the Lord.
(6) In every Christian audience, I am sure there are men and women who have been Christians for five, ten, or twenty years but who do not know of one person who is living for Jesus Christ today because of them.
(7) Do you feel that your devotional life is what the Lord would have it to be? ... That was one of the reasons for their sterility -- lack of communion with Christ.
(8) Every one of His children ought to be a reproducer. Are you producing? If not, why not? Is it because of a lack of communion with Christ, your Lord, ... Or is it some sin in your life, ... that has stopped the flow? Or is it that you are still a babe?
(9) Twenty-three years ago (1932) we took a born-again sailor and spent some time with him, showing him how to reproduce spiritually after his kind. ... We took care of his problems and taught him not only to hear God's Word and to read it, but also how to study it. ... He found a number of boys on his ship, but none of them would go all out for the Lord. ... Ask God to give you a man after your own heart. ... I think I've found him. ... Three months from the time that I started to work with him, he had found a man of like heart. ... He loved the Lord and was willing to pay a price to produce. He worked with this new babe in Christ, and those two fellows began to grow and spiritually reproduce. On that ship 125 men found the Savior before it was sunk at Pearl Harbor. Men off that first battleship are in four continents of the world as missionaries today.
(10) At the end of fifteen and a half years there are approximately 2,147,000,000. ... But wait a minute! Suppose ... B is sidetracked, washes out, and does not produce his first man. ... you can cut your 2,147,000,000 in half. ... I believe that is why Satan puts all his efforts into getting the Christian busy, busy, busy, but not producing. Men, where is your man? Women, where is your woman?
(11) God, give me a girl or man whom I can win to Christ, or let me take one who is already won, an infant in Christ, and try to train that one so that he or she will reproduce.
(12) He followed up his converts with daily prayer and fellowship.
(13) Do you agree that everyone has been born to spiritually reproduce?
(14) What is your plan to spiritually reproduce?
(A6) "The Church’s Mission: “By Making Disciples and Multiplying Churches" by David Platt, what did you think of it?
(1) Did you listen to the message?
(2) What did you think of it?
(3) To make disciples we need to be growing as a disciple. We can’t make what we are not.
(4) It's not really a sacrifice living as a disciple because we get to live a real life.
(5) If we not multiplying then we are not growing.
(6) Jesus is calling everyone to make disciples where they live.
(7) Don't disobey the one thing Jesus told us to do before he left the earth.
(8) How do we make disciples? Go (share the good news), baptizing (show the word, public identification with the body), and teaching.
(9) Think about the people in your sphere of influence who don't know Christ. He loves them so much that he put you in their life so that they'll learn how much God loves them.
(10) Realize disciple making can not happen in a weekly one hour meeting. We need to share our lives together.
(11) Show them how to pray and how to read/study the Bible.
(12) Will the word stop with me or spread through me?
(13) What if each one of us made a disciple in the next 1-3 years?
(14) Great goal, to have at least 1 Gospel Conversation a week.
(15) Feel inadequate? Yes, we can't make disciples by ourselves. That's why Jesus said 28:20 "I am with you always". We can't make disciples without Jesus. But with him we can!
(16) Don't see Disciple Making as something to add to your life, but as the very mission of your life.
(17) We don't want to waste our lives but do the one thing he told us to do.
(A7) Did you listen to Matthew chapters 11-15?
(A8) Click here to view the applications and split into groups of 2 and work on saying word perfect from memory Applications 1-5. Once you're back in the big group have everyone say the applications by memory.
(A9) Who did you teach the Sermon on the Mount to last week?
(A10) Overview: As a group, read out loud all of the Bible verses in this session (all of the green text). Let God's word sink in.
(B) TEACH MORE people Jesus' teachings
(B1) Jesus taught it - Matthew 5:2 "and he began to teach them."
(1) If Jesus thought teaching people how to live in a way God can bless was necessary, should we also teach people the Sermon on the Mount?
(2) Is there any more important 'sermon' in the Bible to teach and live by?
(B2) We are commanded to make disciples by teaching them to obey all - Matthew 28:19-20 "Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, ... (20) Teach these new disciples to OBEY ALL the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
(1) In v20, how are we to make disciples?
(2) If we are not teaching others to obey all, are we obeying this command by Jesus?
(3) In v20 what is Jesus' promise to those who are making disciples?
(B3) The reward of teaching well - Matthew 5:19 "But anyone who obeys God’s laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven."
(1) What two things must we do to be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven?
(B4) The expectation that we teach others - Hebrews 5:12 "There is much more we would like to say about this, but it is difficult to explain, especially since you are spiritually dull and don’t seem to listen. (12) You have been believers so long now that you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things about God’s word. You are like babies who need milk and cannot eat solid food."
(1) What are the two groups of believers?
(2) Which group are you in?
(3) Which group do you want to be in?
(4) How does one move from the group of being one who needs to be taught the basic things again to being one who is teaching others?
(B5) What must we do so we can teach - Romans 15:14 "You know these things so well you can teach each other all about them."
(1) What are all believers to do with what we have learned?
(B6) If we are not teaching it, it means we're hiding it - Psalm 78:4-6 "We will not hide these truths from our children; we will tell the next generation about the glorious deeds of the Lord, about his power and his mighty wonders. (5) For he issued his laws to Jacob; he gave his instructions to Israel. He commanded our ancestors to teach them to their children, (6) so the next generation might know them— even the children not yet born— and they in turn will teach their own children."
(1) In v4, if we are not telling people about God, are we HIDING from them what they desperately need?
(2) In v5-6, after we teach our physical and spiritual children who are they to teach?
(3) If our children are not teaching their children are we somewhat responsible for that?
(3) Is there any greater gift (training them well enough so they can train others) you can give than this?
(B7) How to make disciples - 2 Timothy 2:2 "You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others."
(1) What should you expect of those you teach?
(2) For example, if each 6 months you start to teach/train one friend to grow and for that friend to also teach/train one of their friends each 6 months and their disciples to also teaching/training one new friends each 6 months. So at the end of the first 6 months say there is you and George. In the second 6 months, in addition to meeting with George you start training John and George starts training Peter. So at the end of year 1 there are 4 of you. In the third 6 months, in addition to continue meeting with George and John (maybe together) you start training Matthew and George, John, and Peter also each start training another person. So at the end of 18 months there are 8 of you. And so it continues.
How many disciples will there be after 5 years? 1 thousand!! (2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 1,022).
After 10 years? 1 million!!!
After 15 years? 1 billion!!!!
(3) What are you willing to give up so that God can use you like this?
(4) How hard do you think you need to work so that you can become skilled in both winning people to Christ (see next session) and training them to grow and repeat the process?
(5) What stops this amazing, unbelievable growth? Look at Luke 8:11-15 for the answer (session 5).
(6) Therefore stick with the people you're helping for years to help them grow very strong as they are teaching others.
(7) But follow 2 Timothy 2:2 and don't keep teaching those who refuse to teach others.
(8) Your goal is not only to focus on your 1st generation disciples but also on helping them to start training their disciples. Your focus must also be on helping your 1st generation to start teaching their 1st generation (your 2nd generation). Your 1st generation will really grow when they are helping others to grow.
(B8) Review: For you what are the 2-3 key points of this session?
(B9) Summary: We must be teaching ALL of Jesus teachings and commands to new disciples because that is what Jesus explicitly commands us to do in Matthew 28:19-20 "Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you". And because Jesus thought the Sermon on the Mount (how to live in a way God can bless) was important enough to teach so should we. If we don't teach our friends and family we are actually HIDING Jesus' teachings from them. The Sermon on the Mount is an excellent choice to start training others on how to grow, witness, win, train others to repeat the process..
(1) Are you willing to start making disciples as Jesus commands us to do in Matthew 28:19-20?
(2) If you're not teaching someone yet, can you list 5 possible people you can ask to see if they would like to study the Sermon on the Mount with you? Not only can you meet/train those you can physically be in the same room BUT you can also meet/train those that live far away by using the phone or Skype/Face Time.
(3) Pray, pray, pray, and prioritize the list. Then start down the list until you get one who'll say yes.
(4) Discuss different ways to invite people, from sending a link to ...
(C) Assignment for session 7
(1) Memorize applications 1-6 word perfect.
(2) Study carefully session 7.
(3) Continue to read the Bible. Read at least a few minutes every day from the New Testament (preferably the Gospel of Matthew). Then text the verse you liked the most to everyone else in the group.
(4) Listen to the Sermon: Click here to watch or listen to session 7's sermon(s).
(5) Listen to the Bible: Using the Bible App listen to Matthew chapters 16-20 this week, it'll only take about 21 minutes.
(6) Weekly phone call: In a few days call the person on your right.
(7) Making Disciples: If you haven't yet, find someone to start training with the Gospel of Matthew
(D) Ask God to give you a man after your own heart
(1) Go over on how to share the "Jesus' Warning" sheet.
(2) In groups of 2 give everyone a change to practice asking the questions for the "Jesus' Warning" sheet.
(3) Do you want to make disciples?
(4) Are you willing to pray like that first guy Dawson Trotman trained for "God to give you a man after your own heart"?
(5) Write down a list of guys to ask. Then pray for them daily and ask God for an opportunity to go over the "Jesus' Warning" sheet (or something else) with them.
(1) Share an update on last week's request.
(2) Share one thing you are thankful for this past week and 1-2 personal prayer requests for everyone to pray for this week.
(3) If you have time pray for the requests.
Session 5 Index page Session 7