Dana White, the UFC's president, has confirmed that Conor McGregor's trilogy battle with Dustin Poirier almost fell apart during their heated Twitter exchange.
The Notorious would face the recent interim lightweight champion again on July 10 in the main event of UFC 264 in Las Vegas.
Conor McGregor's series finale against Dustin Poirier will be the main event at UFC 264 on July 10.
Dana White's interference saved Poirier vs. McGregor III.
McGregor, 32, seemed to pull the trigger on the series finale after Poirier announced he had failed to make good on his £363,000 ($500,000) contribution to his charity The Good Fight Foundation.
White maintains the Irishman's Twitter rant was not pre-fight marketing, telling TSN: "There was a good risk it might all fall apart.
"Some conspiracy theorists claimed that this was done to help support the war.
"None of this was intended to encourage the war. I can convince you of that. But we had it done.”
White needed to talk with both men to ensure their much-anticipated third meeting went off without a hitch.
When asked whether he had to persuade McGregor to compete again, the seasoned promoter replied: "Both men.
“We had to move back and forth. Listen, dude, we've been doing this for 20 years. This is what we do. We have it done.”
CASINO SIGN UP OFFER: CLAIM UP TO £800 IN CASINO BONUS CASH
McGregor (22-5) was knocked out in the second round by Poirier in the main event of UFC 257 in Abu Dhabi in January.
Victory in his third fight against The Diamond would bring the UFC's first dual two-weight world champion back on course for another shot at the lightweight championship.
And the Irishman's boss, Audie Attar, believes a title shot is on the way.
“I guess it just makes sense,” Paradigm Sports Management's CEO told MMA Junkie.
"This battle has the potential to become a No. 1 candidate.
"I believe Chandler vs. Oliveira will take place, and the winner will face the winner of McGregor vs. Poirier 3.”
UFC 264 Live Online will take place in front of a sold-out audience at Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena.
At UFC 257, Conor McGregor was knocked out in the second round by Dustin Poirier.
And McGregor is looking forward to the showdown in Sin City, which might make or break his chances of qualifying for UFC gold again.
Following the news of the trilogy earlier this month, the Dubliner told ESPN: "This morning, I signed my bout contract.
"I'm going to tear the game a new a**hole on July 10.
"The Mac is back in Sin City! It's a packed home!"