Jesus' Promises For You
Red are answers, blue is scriptures, Green are questions for those who are followers of Jesus
(Promises are in bold, requirements are underlined)
(1) “Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father [God] will love them.” --John 14:21 (the book of John, chapter 14 verse 21)
- What is Jesus promising you in this passage? God will love me.
- How does a good human father love his children? He provides, protects, and guides his children. The following verses show some of the other ways God will love you.
- What are the conditions for this promise? Accept and obey Jesus' commands.
- What does it mean to Accept and Obey Jesus' commands? To consistently grow in my learning of and obedience to Jesus’ commands.
- How much do you want God to love you? Hopefully you'll say a lot. There is no better way to live than to be in God's love. Are you willing to meet both of his conditions? To both learn and obey all his commandments.
(2) “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” --Matthew 6:31-32
- What is Jesus promising you in this verse? God will give you everything you need.
- What will that free you from? Being dominated by worry about how my needs will be meet.
- What's the condition? Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously.
- What does seek mean to seek the Kingdom of God above all else? Make my top priority to enter into, submit to, and grow the Kingdom of God through conversion and then training them to repeat the process.
- What does it mean to live righteously? Live the way God requires, ie., to live like the sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7).
(3) “Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” --John 8:31-32
- Have a good marriage, good kids, successful work. You'll be told one way, but there is a much better way.
- People give themselves to what they think is true. Money, power, fame, or sex will is what will satisfy you, give you peace
(4) “Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take up my yoke and learn from me, … and you will find rest for your souls." --Matthew 11:28-29
(5) “That is why I said that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I Am who I claim to be, you will die in your sins." --John 8:24
(6) “Anyone who believes in God’s Son has eternal life. Anyone who doesn’t obey the Son will never experience eternal life but remains under God’s angry judgment.” --John 3:36
- Is Jesus lying
(7) “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it.” --Mark 8:34-35