Overview of How to Follow & Serve Jesus
- This training course will build into your life the 2 most important spiritual disciplines there are. You'll will even start learning and doing these two life saving spiritual disciplines in this overview.
- This training course will also build into your life the 11 verses on the blue "How to Follow & Serve Jesus" card (and also in this lesson) will help you to significantly follow & seve Jesus.
- Verses #1-6 will train you to build these 6 key inner qualities into your life so you can follow Jesus day by day.
- Verses #7-10 will train you to serve Jesus in these 4 key ministries that ALL followers of Jesus are to do well.
- Verse #11 shows how to know where you are going.
- In the 11 verses the first word of each action we are to do or not do is underlined and the key word of each promise (or result) is in bold.
- This lesson is a very quick overview of the 11 verses in "How to Follow & Serve Jesus". In the following weeks each verse will be fully studied and applied.
(--B1--) How Much Must I Follow & Serve Jesus Mark 8:34 If any of you wants to be my follower, you MUST give up your own way (deny himself), take up your cross, and follow me. NLT
- Verses #B1-B6 are 6 keys to truly folowing Jesus.
- Does following Jesus include following Jesus' teachings?
- Using the underlines in B1, answer the B1 question/title "how much must I follow & serve Jesus?"
- "give up your own way" (deny yourself) is the amount of sacrifice it will take if one wants to truly follow Jesus.
- Is Jesus saying one cannot be his follower if one does not "give up your own way"?
- Following Jesus is costly but verses #B2-6 show some of the incredible benefits of following Jesus.
- Looking at the words that are bold in B2-6 what are these benefits?
- Is "give up your own way" (denying yourself) worth it for you to receive these and other promises from God?
- Next week's session will examine what each of these 3 commands ('give up your own way', take up your cross', and 'follow me') mean.
- Is Mark 8:34 a good description of how one makes Jesus their true Lord?
- The next verse (B2) shows how to start following Jesus.
(B2) How to be Saved Romans 10:9 If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. NLT
- How are we saved?
- Ssession 2 (2 weeks from now) will study in-depth how to be saved.
- Note: not only do we need to make Jesus our Lord but we need to also "openly _______ that Jesus" is our Lord.
- What happens when we don't do Jesus' 3 requirements?
- The next verse shows what to do when we disobey (don't follow) Jesus.
(B3) How to Recover from Sinning Proverbs 28:13 You will never succeed in life if you try to hide your sins. Confess them and give them up; then God will show mercy to you. GNT
- How are we not to deal with sin?
- How are we to deal with sin?
- What does God promise will happen when we hide (ignore) our sins?
- What does God promise will happen when we confess and give up our sins?
- The next verse shows how to "give them up" (sin less and less).
(B4) How to Sin Less and Less Psalm 119:10-11 With all my heart I seek you. Do not allow me to stray from your commands. (11) In my heart I store up your words, so I might not sin against you. NET
- What 3 steps will enable us to sin less and less ("so I might not sin against you"?
- What does it mean to seek God with ALL of my heart?
- How often do we need to ask God for help not to sin?
- What does it mean to store up God's words?
- The next verse shows how to "store up your words".
(B5) How to Obey Jesus Fully James 1:25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it— not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it— they will be blessed in what they do. NIV
- What 4 steps will enable us to obey Jesus fully?
- What does it mean to look intently into God's word?
- What does it mean to 'continues in it'?
- What does it mean to 'not forgetting'?
- What does it mean to 'doing it'?
- For those who do all four of these instructions:
- What is the first promise?
- What is the second promise?
- Can we obey Jesus fully if we are not also doing all three of the previous verse (Psalm 119:10-11) requirements?
- The next verse shows us how to live.
(B6) How to Live by Faith Philippians 4:6-7 Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (7) And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. CSB
- Living by faith is depending on God and not on ourselves or others. Yes, we work hard, but our confidence, hope, and reliance is in God's love for us and that God will bless our obedience and faith (Hebrews 11:6).
- What are we commanded not to do?
- What are we commanded to do?
- How often are we to do this?
- What does God promise us we will experience if we do this?
- What does it mean if we are not experiencing the peace of God which surpasses all understanding?
- Living by faith is being able to consistently do Philippians 4:6-7. The study on this verse will show how to do this verse well.
- The next 4 commands (verses) are 4 ways we are to ALL to serve Jesus. The first one is what we are to do to everyone.
(B7) How to Do Good to All Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people. NIV
- Verses #B7-B10 are 4 keys to truly serving Jesus
- How are we to do good to all people?
- What happens when we don't do good to all people?
- The next verse God shows what we are to do with Christians.
(B8) How to Strengthen One Another Hebrews 3:13 But encourage one another daily, ... so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. NIV
- How are we to strengthen each other?
- What happens when we don't strengthen each other?
- Are you meeting in a small group or one on one that does this?
- The next verse God shows what we are to do with non-Christians that God brings across our path.
(B9) How to Start Witnessing 2 Timothy 1:8 So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord. … With the strength God gives you, be ready to suffer … NLT
- Why don't we witness?
- What happens when we don't witness?
- How are we to start witnessing?
- The next verse God shows us what we to give our lives to.
(B10) How to Make Multiplying Disciples Matthew 28:19-20 make disciples … baptizing them ... (20) and teaching them to OBEY everything I have commanded you. NIV
- How are we to make multiplying disciples?
- Is everyone commanded to make multiplying disciples?
- What is a multiplying disciple?
- One who is training (teaching) other Christians to OBEY EVERYING (including the command to make disciples by teaching disciples to obey everything). They will be at least spiritual grandfathers (have 2 generations).
- What happens when we don't make multiplying disciples?
- This 'How to Follow & Serve Jesus' series will enable you to teach others to OBEY.
- The next verse God shows us what is at stake.
(B11) How to Know Where You Are Going Matthew 7:21 Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. NIV
- Who goes to heaven?
- Do you want to learn and do these 11 verses so that you'll actually be doing 'the will of my Father'?
- In the coming weeks we will study and apply each of these 11 verses throughly and help each other to do them so that we will receive God's "mercy" (#3), "sin less and less" (#4), "be blesses in what" we do (#5), experience "the peace of God which surpasses all understanding" (#6), and most importantly be doing Jesus' 3 requirements of being his follower (disciple) (#1).
(--C1--) The Most Importand Spiritual Discipline - Having a Daily Devotional time with Jesus
(C2) First Part: Letting Jesus Teach, Rebuke, Correct, and Train Us in Righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- By far the most important spiritual discipline is to daily meet with Jesus where we listen to Jesus by reading and thinking about a Bible passage, then responding back to Jesus in prayer, and finally doing what it the scripture says (James 1:22). Marking (or highlighting) the Bible as we read helps us to focus on what we are to remember and do. It may be commands to obey, promises to rely on, or truths to remember. Marking also enables us to review what Jesus has impressed on us so that we do not immeadiately forget.
- Start by asking God to speak to you from His Word.
- Read and think through the passage.
- Mark the parts that stand out or impress you. Practice with this passage:
Luke 14:25-35 “(25) A large crowd was following Jesus. He turned around and said to them, (26) If you want to be my disciple, you must, by comparison, hate everyone else—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple. (27) And if you do not carry your own cross and follow me, you cannot be my disciple.
(28) “But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first calculating the cost to see if there is enough money to finish it? (29) Otherwise, you might complete only the foundation before running out of money, and then everyone would laugh at you. (30) They would say, ‘There’s the person who started that building and couldn’t afford to finish it!’
(31) “Or what king would go to war against another king without first sitting down with his counselors to discuss whether his army of 10,000 could defeat the 20,000 soldiers marching against him? (32) And if he can’t, he will send a delegation to discuss terms of peace while the enemy is still far away. (33) So you cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own.
(34) “Salt is good for seasoning. But if it loses its flavor, how do you make it salty again? (35) Flavorless salt is good neither for the soil nor for the manure pile. It is thrown away. Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand!”
(C3) Second Part: Responding back to Jesus.
- The two ways of responding back to God in prayer are:
- Respond back to God each time you mark something in your Bible OR
- Complete your reading and marking, and then go back and respond to God about one or more things you marked.
- Responding can include:
- Thanking or praising Him for what you just read.
- Asking God for help in applying something you just read.
- Talking to him about something the Bible passage brought to mind.
- Asking him your questions about the passage, such as 'what does it mean?'
- Praying the passage for someone.
- After responding talk to God about your day (a lot more on this in session 6 - How to Live by Faith).
(--D1--) The 2nd Most Important Spiritual Discipline: Meditating on Memorized Scripture Day and Night
- Psalm 1:1-3 Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. (2) But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. (3) They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do."
- In v3 what does God promise for those who do v1-2?
- Memorizing verses and meditating on them day and night is the only way we can do #4 verse "In my heart I store up your words, so I might not sin against you" and #5 "not forgetting what they have heard".
- Memorizing is the best way you can break the very destructive cycle of learn & forget, learn and forget, learn and forget and replace it with learn, meditate, remember, apply, and share it.
- People say 'I can't memorize'. But they know their phone #, address, name of the months, and names of their favorite friends, shows, and actors.
- The REAL issue is motivation to memorize. If they were paid $1,000 for every verse they memorize do you think they will be able to memorize a verse?
- The memorized verse must be word perfect so you can quote it with authority. And your long term review will go much quicker.
(D2) How to Memorize
- Why memorize? So you can remember, meditate and do instead of forgetting and not doing.
- With repetition keep saying: "1. How Much Must I Follow & Serve Jesus - Mark 8:34" until you can say it word perfect.
- With repetition keep saying: "1. How Much Must I Follow & Serve Jesus - Mark 8:34 - If any of you wants to be my follower" until you can say it word perfect.
- With repetition keep saying: "1. How Much Must I Follow & Serve Jesus - Mark 8:34 - If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way" until you can say it word perfect.
- With repetition keep saying: "1. How Much Must I Follow & Serve Jesus - Mark 8:34 - If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me. Mark 8:34" until you can say it word perfect.
- Aways say the reference (Mark 8:34) BOTH at the beggining and the end of the verse.
- During the first week work on saying the verse until you can say it word perfect. The first few times you'll have to work on the verse some until you can say it word perfect. But each time it'll take a little less effort
- Will you review the verse you memorize 3 differeent times each day for the first week? After that review it daily for 2 months.
- When you review the verse ask God how you can do the verse tdoay.
(D3) Meditate Day on Night James 1:25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it— not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it— they will be blessed in what they do. NIV
- Four key parts of meditating day and night
- "looks intently" answers these 5 key questions
- What does it say? (everyone should agree - it's just English grammer)
- What does it mean? (this is where people may disagree with the interpretation)
- What cross references (other Bible verses) back up my interpretation? (the studies on each of these verses have a lot of cross references)
- How can I apply (do) this verse?
- How can I do this verse TODAY?
- "continues in it"
- The more often you meditate on the verse the more changed you'll become.
- "not forgetting"
- Memorizing the verse and meditating on it prevents one forgetting it.
- "doing it"
- Plan out how you will do the verse today.
- Memorize and meditate day and night on Mark 8:34
- Share prayer requests (what you want to ask God to do).
- Ask God for one or more people to share what you got from this
(--F1--) For Next Week
(F2) Add to Home Page: Put the Table of Contents web page on your phone's home screen so you can easily access the How to Follow Jesus Study.
- Apple: View that page in the Safari browser, then press the share icon, select "Add to Home Screen", and name it "Follow Jesus".
- Android: View that page in the Chrome browser, then press the 3 dots, select Add to home page, and name it "Follow Jesus".
(F3) Memorize and meditate day and night (at least 3 times a day) on Mark 8:34.
(F4) Read and answer section B's questions in next week's (01) How Much Must I Follow & Serve Jesus - Mark 8:34 training session. Can you do this?
Return to Table of Contents