There are now five approaches to a PoorBUG web presence being investigated.
No matter which one we choose, there will be a need for a brief introductory paragraph, which should be developed by the whole group. It should not be just one person's view of things, or one person's responsibility. So I'm asking the group to do some work on this (see below).
The web presences being investigated are:
- Using Meetup.com. It will cost $120 / yr to make effective use of this venue.
- Using Keep&Save. No cost, except dealing with the advertising. The main drawbacks I see are that K&S offers no guarantees about the continued existence of the site and there is no way to back up the material. We could lose all our history and whatever libraries of resources or tutorials that we have developed. This is also true to some extent with Meetup.com.
- The Wikkawiki site I started a couple of weeks ago. There is no cost as I can carry it on my Bluehost account, where I have a lot of excess capacity. I am running into major concerns about supporting this as it would need a third party mechanism to handle images, .blend uploads, etc. That would mean the general user would have to become familiar with the image uploading software as well as the wiki software... that is maybe much more than some would want to take on.
- The WordPress blog that Nate started a week ago. There is no cost as it is also on my Bluehost account. Nate can describe the pros and cons better than I can; I have no experience with blogs.
- I am currently exploring Mediawiki, which is the engine developed and used by Wikipedia. No cost again, since it is on my Bluehost account. It offers the advantages of Wikkawiki in supporting discussions and collaborative work, but it goes beyond that in providing ways to upload images, .blend files, and so on. From the user's point of view, it requires a little bit of learning, but at least those skills could be used on Wikipedia or around 2,000 other wikis. It seems that most graphics wikis are using Mediawiki. From my personal point of view, there is a bit more to learn about administration than Wikkawiki. But learning that doesn't kill you makes you better, right?
Back to the Introductory Paragraph:
- Here is where it would go on the Mediawiki PoorBUG website: http://blenderusergroup.nopoco.net/mwiki/index.php?title=Main_Page You can press the "Discussion" tab at the top of that page to join the discussion.
- Here is a link direct to the discussion page: http://blenderusergroup.nopoco.net/mwiki/index.php?title=Talk:Main_Page
Oh, we could use a better graphics logo than what I did in two minutes of Inkscaping. It looks like the size of the .png image should be 150x150 px, while we probably want a .svg image as well.