Keep and Share logo     Log In  |  Mobile View  |  Help  
Select a Color
Immigration Attorney Helps You Find The Right Temporary Visa

Creation date: Apr 8, 2024 5:07pm     Last modified date: Apr 8, 2024 5:07pm   Last visit date: May 23, 2024 3:13am
1 / 20 posts
Apr 8, 2024  ( 1 post )  
Lincoln Law (lincolnlawfirm1)

Anyone planning to enter the United States, be it permanently or temporarily, will need to obtain a visa. To obtain official immigration status in the United States, an individual must acquire an immigrant visa as a prerequisite. If someone has plans to remain in the country for a limited period, they will require a nonimmigrant visa.

There are several reasons why someone would enter the United States temporarily. An individual's desire to travel to the United States may stem from various reasons. These reasons may include conducting business, exploring the country as a tourist, or pursuing academic studies in a US college or university.



The Types Of Temporary Visas 


There are three main types of nonimmigrant visas, each serving a different purpose: visitor visa, student visa, and temporary worker visa.


If you wish to enter the United States temporarily to do business or tour the country or both, what you’d need is a visitor visa. For example, you may want to enter the United States to negotiate a contract. And while you’re at it, you might as well visit some of the United States tourist spots. For this combination of reasons, all you need is a visitor visa. 


However, if your reason to enter the United States is to get an education, a visitor visa isn’t what you need. Instead, what you need is a student visa. 


Many prestigious higher education institutions, including Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, and MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), are located in the United States. Studying in one of these educational institutions is a good reason to temporarily stay in the United States.


If you plan to come to the United States for temporary employment, what you’d need is a temporary worker visa. For example, you may be hired to work in the United States as a contractor or a seasonal employee. 


There are many categories of temporary worker visas. Some are only given to those who work in a specialty occupation. There's also a category that’s reserved for persons with extraordinary and exceptional abilities or achievements.


A person who is temporarily working at a branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of their current employer needs to secure a temporary worker visa. Depending on the kind of work they do, they will be given an L-1A or L-1B visa.


It’s important that the work period isn’t permanent as a temporary worker visa only lasts for a certain amount of time. A prospective employer will need to file a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. If the petition is approved, the worker can use it to obtain a temporary worker visa. Discover even more info HERE.



Applying For A Temporary Visa


To increase your chance of success, you must be truthful with your reasons for coming to the United States. Each type of temporary visa serves a different purpose, and getting one that aligns with your reason for traveling is important. 

Outline your reason for your visit, and provide your intended itinerary if you can. To start your temporary visa application process, you must first fill in Form DS-160. 

Take your time in filling it in as it’s a long and detailed form. Be sure to answer the question accurately and provide accurate information.

Next, prepare your payment for the visa fee. The amount will vary depending on the type of visa you’re applying for. This can range from $160 to $265.

When your form DS-160 is processed, the next step is to schedule an interview. You can do this at a U.S. embassy or consulate. Note that wait times for these interviews can vary. 


Compile the documents that you need (such as a photograph, and proof of visa payment. Your interviewer will require you to show these documents during the interview. 


Depending on the type of visa you’re applying for, you’ll be required to provide additional documents. When it’s time for your interview, be sure to give truthful answers. 


You will be put under oath. Your fingerprints will also be taken. So be as accurate and truthful with your answer as you can. After your interview, you will have to wait for your temporary visa to be processed. 





Even if you only plan to stay in the United States for a fixed period, you’d still need to obtain a visa. Depending on the reason for your stay, you will need a certain type of temporary visa. An experienced immigration attorney can help you figure out which type of visa is applicable to your situation. 


More Info

The Lincoln Goldfinch Law Firm in Cybo

Driving Directions




Lincoln-Goldfinch Law
1005 E 40th St Austin, TX 78751
(855) 502-0555