Keep and Share logo     Log In  |  Mobile View  |  Help  
Select a Color
Can You Change Visa Status Without Leaving The United States?

There are several reasons why foreign-born citizens enter the U.S. The common reasons include seeking a better life, escaping poverty, or reuniting with family. Regardless, all foreign-born citizens must follow specific immigration laws to legally enter and stay in the U.S. These laws are complex and ever-changing, so you must consult with an immigration attorney to ensure you comply.


Applying For Visa To Enter The United States

The United States welcomes individuals from all over the world, but you must have a visa to gain entry. The type of visa you need depends on your country of origin and your reason for visiting America. If you plan to stay in the country for a short period, you will likely need a tourist or business visa. Both are typically valid for up to six months, but you can apply for an extension for good reasons. If you want to move to the United States, you will need to use a different type of visa altogether.


Many different types of visas allow non-citizens to live and work in America permanently or temporarily. The most common include: 


  • Investor Visa: Allows foreign nationals to invest money in American businesses in exchange for citizenship. 


  • Employment Visa: Granted to those with skills or talents in high demand in the United States.


  • Family Visa: Gives preference to close relatives of American citizens and legal residents. 


  • Refugee/Asylum Visa: Given to individuals fleeing their home country due to political, religious, or ethnic persecution. 


There are other less common visas, such as student and agricultural worker visas. The requirements and application process for each type of visa vary, so you should consult with an immigration attorney to determine which is right for you.


Reasons To Change Visa Status

While in the United States, you may encounter different circumstances that require you to change your visa status. The most common reasons include: 


  • Getting married to a U.S. citizen or legal resident.
  • Having a child born in the United States.
  • Being accepted into a graduate program.
  • Changing jobs.


If any of these situations occur, you must apply for a new visa that corresponds with your changed circumstances. For example, you will likely need to apply for a family visa if you get married. Changing your visa status can be complex and time-consuming, so it is essential to consult with an immigration attorney before beginning the application process. Follow this URL for additional info.


Changing Visa Status Process

If you want to change your visa status without leaving the United States, you must file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The type of petition you need to file will depend on your current visa status and the visa category you seek. For example, if you are currently in the United States on a tourist visa and want to obtain a work visa, you will need to file a petition for a change of status with USCIS.


The first step in changing your visa status is ensuring you are eligible for the visa category you seek. Each visa category has specific requirements that an individual must meet to qualify. Once you have determined that you meet the requirements for the visa category, you can begin the process of filing a petition for a change of status with USCIS.


The Lincoln-Goldfinch Law Firm


The process of changing your visa status can be complicated and time-consuming. It is essential to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that you are taking the correct steps and that you completely filed your petition. An experienced immigration attorney from The Lincoln-Goldfinch Law Firm can help you navigate the visa process and ensure that you take the correct steps to obtain the visa category you seek. Contact them today for a consultation. 


More info
Lincoln-Goldfinch Law in IGotBiz
Driving Directions




Lincoln-Goldfinch Law
1005 E 40th St Austin, TX 78751
(855) 502-0555

Creation date: May 14, 2024 1:01pm     Last modified date: May 14, 2024 1:14pm   Last visit date: May 18, 2024 12:48pm