World's Best Scones
World's Best Scones!
I usually double this recipe. The scones freeze well either before or after baking.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins (Christina uses craisins!!!!!)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift or whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or rubbing between your fingers until it is in pea sized lumps. Stir in the craisins. Mix together 1/2 cup milk and sour cream in a measuring cup. Pour all at once into the dry ingredients, and stir gently until well blended. Overworking the dough results in terrible scones!
- With floured hands, pat scone dough into balls 2 to 3 inches across, depending on what size you want. Place onto a greased baking sheet, and flatten lightly.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are golden brown, not deep brown.
Scones can be reheated if not eaten promptly by wrapping in aluminum foil and heating in oven until heated through or split in half and toasted or just popped in the microwave.
These are also great with a powder sugar icing (powdered sugar mixed with a little bit of milk) drizzled over the top. That's what I do!
Creation date: Feb 2, 2009 4:03pm Last modified date: Mar 27, 2012 4:00pm Last visit date: May 27, 2020 4:39pm