Moroccan Lamb Stew
| ||This is delicious, from McCall's Cooking school. For working hostesses, this can be made ahead and reheated just before serving. |
21/2 lb boneless lamb shoulder
1/4 c. olive or salad oil
4 small yellow onions
fresh ginger root (can be bought already pureed in tubes in produce section)
or 2 tsp. ground ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 can (1 lb) tomatoes, undrained
1 c. raisins
1/2 c. unblanched almonds
1 1/2 c. raw long-grain white rice
2 hard-cooked eggs
1. Wipe lamb with damp paper towels; cut into 1 1/2 in. cubes. In hot oil in 5 or 6 qt. Dutch oven, brown lamb over med heat, a third at a time. Turn lamb with tongs. Lift out as it browns. Continue until all lamb is browned (takes about 1/2 hour in all).
2. Peel and quarter onions. To drippings in Dutch oven, add onion, 2 TB. chopped ginger, and garlic. Saute, stirring, until onion is golden- about 5 min.
3. Add 1/4 c. parsley, 1 tsp. salt, the turmeric and pepper, mix well. Return lamb to Dutch oven. Stir in tomatoes. Place a large piece of waxed paper over top of Dutch oven. Place lid over paper,. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
4. Simmer, covered, 1 hour and 15 min., stirring occasionally, until meat is tender when pierced with fork. Meanwhile, in small bowl, cover raisins with water, let stand. Cover almonds with boiling water and let stand 2 min.; drain. Cool in cold water.
5. Drain almonds; rub off skins; dry. In 2 TB. hot butter in small skillet, saute almonds, stirring, until golden. Peel eggs; chop finely. In med. size saucepan with tight-fitting cover, combine 3 c. water, rice, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and the butter.
6. Bring to boiling, uncovered. Reduce heat; simmer; covered, 15-20 min. or until rice is tender and water absorbed. Drain raisins, stir into meat mixture; simmer, covered 5 min. Turn into serving dish. Garnish with almonds, egg and parsley. Serves 8.
Creation date: Dec 13, 2003 4:00 pm Last modified date: Jun 18, 2004 5:00 pm Last visit date: Jan 16, 2018 6:04 pm link & embed ?...