Assurance of Salvation
If you openly declare
that Jesus is Lord
and believe in your heart
that God raised him from the dead,
you will be saved. NLT
(1) Make Jesus our master and don't keep that a secret. (includes repenting from sin)
(2) Believe Jesus died for our sins and that God accepted his sacrifice by raising Jesus from the dead.
We will be saved from hell and spend eternity with God.
Immediate Context (always read the immediate context of the verse you are memorizing)
If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by openly declaring your faith that you are saved. 11 As the Scriptures tell us, “Anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced.” 12 Jew and Gentile are the same in this respect. They have the same Lord, who gives generously to all who call on him. 13 For “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
Excerpts from Commentaries
If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord
"Not a simple acknowledgment that He is God and the Lord of the universe, since even demons acknowledge that to be true (James 2:19). This is the deep personal conviction, without reservation, that Jesus is that person's own master or sovereign. This phrase includes repenting from sin, trusting in Jesus for salvation, and submitting to Him as Lord. This is the volitional element of faith." The MacArthur Bible Commentary
"we are acknowledging his rank or supreme place. We are pledging our obedience and worship; we are placing our life under his protection for safekeeping. We are pledging ourselves and our resources to his control for direction and service. ... The gospel message in a nutshell is confess and believe and you will be saved. There is no reference to works or rituals" Life Application New Testament Commentary
"In view of the fact that "Lord" (Greek Kyrios) is used over 6,000 times in the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the OT) to translate the name of Israel's God (Yahweh). it is clear that Paul, when using this word of Jesus, is ascribing deity to him." The NIV Study Bible
"does not mean that a spoken affirmation of one's faith is a 'work' that merits justification, but such confession does give outward evidence of inward faith, and often confirms that faith to the speaker himself" ESV Study Bible
What does it mean to make Jesus your Lord?
- Decide to obey him "Why do you call me, Lord, Lord, and do not do what I say?" Luke 6:46
and believe in your heart
"Saving faith consists of three elements:
- Mental: the mind understands the gospel and the truth about Christ (Romans 10:14-17).
- Emotional: one embraces the truthfulness of those facts with sorrow over sin and joy over god's mercy and grace (6:17; 15:13).
- Volitional: the sinner submits his will to Christ and trusts in Him alone as the only hope of salvation. Genuine faith will always produce authentic obedience (John 8:31, 14:21-24)" The MacArthur Bible Commentary
"In Biblical terms the heart is not merely the seat of the emotions and affections, but also of the intellect and will." The NIV Study Bible
that God raised him from the dead
"Christ's resurrection was the supreme validation of His ministry (John 2:18-21). Belief in it is necessary for salvation because it proved that Christ is who He claimed to be and that the Father had accepted His sacrifice in the place of sinners (4:24; df. Acts 13:32,33; 1 Peter 1:3-4). Without the Resurrection, there is no salvation." The MacArthur Bible Commentary
"Paul does not mean that people need to believe only this individual event with no understanding of Christ’s death, but rather they need to believe in the resurrection along with the whole complex of truth connected with it, particularly Jesus’ sin- bearing death in mankind’s place, followed by his resurrection that showed God the Father’s approval of Christ’s work (see note on 4:25 )." ESV Study Bible
you will be saved
"This key word basically means "deliverance" or "rescue". The power of the gospel delivers from:
- lostness (Matt. 18.11),
- from the wrath of God (Rom. 5:9),
- from willful spiritual ignorance (Hos. 4:6; 2 Thess. 1:8),
- from evil self-indulgence (Luke 14:26),
- and from the darkness of false religion (Col. 1:13; 1 Pet. 2:9).
- It rescues them from the ultimate penalty of their sin, i.e., eternal separation from God and eternal punishment (see not on Rev. 20:6)" The MacArthur Bible Commentary
Great online Gospel presentation 'tract'
Do you Know?
Other verses on assurance of salvation
Note the different conditions for the assurance.
- Mark 8.34-37 If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. 35 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it. 36 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? 37 Is anything worth more than your soul?
- John 3.16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. NIV
- John 5.24 I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. NIV
- John 8:31-32 Jesus said to the people who believed in him, You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. (32) And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
- John 8.51 I tell you the truth, anyone who obeys my teaching will never die!
- John 12.25-26 Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity.
- Hebrews 3.14 We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first. NIV
- James 2.24 we are shown to be right with God by what we do, not by faith alone.
- 1 John 2.3-4 And we can be sure that we know him if we obey his commandments. (4) If someone claims, “I know God,” but doesn’t obey God’s commandments, that person is a liar.
- 1 John 3.10 So now we can tell who are children of God and who are children of the devil. Anyone who does not live righteously and does not love other believers does not belong to God.
- 1 John 5.11-13 And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. (12) Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God’s Son does not have life. (13) I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life.