Realize their need for him - Matthew 5:3
- Review the bold part of all conclusions from the previous 2 lessons. Lesson 1 and Lesson 2.
- Have them go to the Bible only part of www.multiplynow.net and select "(1) Jesus' Sermon on the Mount (Bible only)", then "(2) Realize their need for him".
(A) Matthew 5:3-10 "God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
4 God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5 God blesses those who are humble, for they will inherit the whole earth.
6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be satisfied.
7 God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
8 God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God.
9 God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God.
10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs."
- Read (B) Matthew 5:3-10.
- Jesus starts off his sermon with a pocket guide to his sermon with 8 easily memorizable keys to living in a way God can bless. Why did Jesus make them easy to memorize? So we would NOT forget them.
- Why do you think Jesus does not want us to forget them? So we'll live in a way God can bless.
- The 8 Beatitudes all begin with "God blesses ...". Beatitudes means a state of blessedness. It comes from the Greek word that starts off each verse. These 8 divine guidelines explain the conditions what will bring true blessedness (full, genuine but not just circumstantial feeling of happiness) from God.
- The 8 Beatitudes are "attitudes to be".
- ***Start by asking them to list the 8 promises.
- ***Do you want them?
- ***What do you need to be? (you'll find out in a few minutes you can do them ONLY with God's help
- **Explain the kingdom of heaven is God's rule on earth
(B) Matthew 5:3 “God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs."
- Bring out it's Poor in Spirit
(C) Luke 18:9-14 "Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: 10 “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! 12 I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’ 13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ 14 I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."
- ***Explain who a Pharisee is (concentrated on the outward. Religious leader. Really into outward show of being spiritual)
- Which one realize their need for God (was poor in Spirit)? The tax collector.
- In v13 What did the tax collector realize about himself? That he was a sinner.
- In v13 what did the tax collect do? Acknowledge that he was a sinner, was sorry about his sins, asked God to be merciful to him.
- In v14 how did Jesus described his actions? He humbled himself.
- In v14 if we want to be justified with God what must we do? Humble ourselves.
- ???If we want to be blessed by God what must we do? Realize our need for God for both Salvation and also for his help each day.
- ---For Salvation---
- Watch this 3 minute video that shows how one can be saved from his sins (from going to hell). 3 Circles video. How can we be saved? Turn from their way and surrender to Jesus and believe that Jesus came and died on the cross and rose from the dead and are willing to make Him their king and Lord.
- Read the online "Do You Know" pamphlet that describes the 5 things we need to know and the 4 things we need to do to be saved. Link to "Do You Know" pamphlet.
- What are the 5 things we need to know? (1) Eternal life is a free gift. (2) Man is a sinner. (3) God is merciful. God is just. (4) Who Jesus is and what Jesus do. (5) Faith is the key that opens the door to heaven. Saving faith is trusting in Jesus Christ ALONE.
- What are the 4 things we need to do? (1) Transfer your trust. (2) Accept the living Christ as savior. (3) Receive Jesus Christ as Lord. (4) Repent of your sin.
- If someone REALLY wants to do this what do they need to do?
- ---For Help each day---
Keep it very brief BECAUSE we will be watching the 3 circles video and reading 4/5ths of "Do You Know" online tract.
For help today
Matthew 6.33 If I want to have God meet all my needs what do I need to do?
Matthew 6.11, 12, 13
Since Sermon is how to live and not salvation, point out Matt 4:17
In the first half of v12 What are we to work hard on doing?
In second half of v12 what are the two attitudes we are to obey God with? Deep reverence and fear. Do you think deep reverence includes not wanting to disappoint God because we love him so much? Fear because he will discipline us? Show Heb 12:6. If you are really a child of God this is what God promises
In v13 what 2 ways does God enable you to obey his commands.
Go over 2 Cor 1
1 John 4.16 We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love. NLT
"God hates pride and sets himself against those who push total dependence upon him to the side." Dwight Hill
2 Corinthians 1.9,10,12 we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, ... (10) We have placed our confidence in him, ... (12) We have depended on God’s grace, not on our own human wisdom. NLT
John 5.19 the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. NLT
What is the application verse? Phil 4:6-7?
Depend 2 Cor 1.9,10,12 Prov 3.5-6
Matthew 6:11-13. Give, forgive, don’t let, rescue
Trust John 14.1
Is 26.3, 30.5
Prayer as depending Phil 4.6-7
**Matt 6.33 Depend on this
**End with Jer 17.5,7 Is Jesus, not myself my hope and confidence
we know we are depending when it's Jesus and not me that is my hope and confidence
“[Most] blessed is the man who believes in, trusts in, and relies on the Lord, and whose hope and confidence the Lord is.” Jeremiah 17:7 AMPC
Easy to trust if we know how much he loves us 1 John 4.16
**2 Chron 16.12 What mistake to avoid