(2) Who Jesus was speaking to - Matthew 5:1-2
- Click here to review the bold part of all conclusions from the previous lesson.
- ***Review the application. Daily building on the rock (learning & obeying) so their house will be built enough on the rock to survive the storms.
- Have them go to the Bible only part of www.followjesusnow.com and select "(1) Jesus' Sermon on the Mount (Bible only)", then "(2) Realize their need for him".
(A) Matthew 5:1-2 "One day as he saw the crowds gathering, Jesus went up on the mountainside and sat down. His disciples gathered around him, 2 and he began to teach them."
- This sermon is Jesus telling his disciples how to live in a way that God can bless.
- Read (A) Matthew 5:1-2 (chapter 5 verses 1 through 2)
- In verse 1 Jesus' sermon is called Sermon on the Mount because he gave gave it where? On the mountainside.
- In verse 2 Who is Jesus teaching? His disciples.
- Read (A1) John 8:31-32 "Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. 32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
- In v31 who does Jesus say are his real disciples? Those who believe him and those who remain faithful to his teachings.
- In v32 if you want to be set free (from being a slave of sin) what must you do? Remain faithful to his teachings.
- Read (A2) John 8:51 which is a few verses after John 8:31-32 to see what remaining faithful to his teachings must include "I tell you the truth, anyone who obeys my teaching will never die!".
- What must we do if we don't want to die spiritually? Obey his teaching.
- So how would you describe who a real disciple of Jesus is? A key characteristic is one who wants to and is increasingly learning and obeying Jesus' teachings and thereby is being set free from the sin that controls him.
(B) Matthew 4:17 "From then on Jesus began to preach, “Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near."
- Read (B) In the chapter before the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount what did the disciples do in response to Jesus' teaching? They repented of their sins and turned to God.
- Watch this 3 minute video Jesus' Main Message Video which is a quick presentation of what Jesus is preaching here. What is the way out of our brokeness? Turn from our way, surrender to him, believed that Jesus came and died on the cross and rose from the dead and make him their lord, that they will be forgiven and experience God's perfect design for his life.
- Read together this tract to have a fuller understanding of what Jesus requires. Jesus' Main Message illustrated
- What are the 5 things we must know?
- What are the 4 things we must do?
- What do you think about the prayer?
ONLY teach the following to Christians
(C) Matthew 5:1-2 "One day as he saw the crowds gathering, Jesus went up on the mountainside and sat down. His disciples gathered around him, 2 and he began to teach them."
- Read (C) Matthew 5:1-2.
- In this short 15 minute sermon there are over 50+ commands and instructions on how to live in a way that God can bless and that results in going to heaven. If Jesus thought these commands were important enough to teach how much more should we teach them, right. Yes
- Read (C1) Matthew 28:19-20 "Therefore, go and make disciples ... 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you." (1) In v20, How are we to make disciples? Teach them to OBEY ALL of Jesus' commands. (2) Who is to do the teaching? EVERY Christian. Each young Christian is taught to obey ALL of Jesus' commands, including this one in 28:19-20 to make disciples by teaching new disciples to obey all. (3) So if we are not teaching others are we obeying this command? No
- Read (C2) 2 Timothy 2:2 "You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others." What are trustworthy people expected to do? Teach others what they have been taught.
- Are you willing to be a trustworthy person and pass on what you learn? ______
- Read (C3) Conclusion: Do you think this is a good summary of Matthew 5:1-2? --> Follow Jesus’ example and teach to OBEY ALL of Jesus commands including the Sermon on the Mount.
- It's very easy to do because all you need to do is to use this study guide. Show them this document.
- APPLICATION: This week who can you teach the truths you just learned to? _____________
What is the application verse? Matt 28:20
Are you a follower of Jesus? Then what does Jesus command you to do? Are you willing to do it? Show them how easy this is with leaders guide. Who can you do this with?
If Jesus thought it was important, who can you teach?
Who needs to watch or read the tracts?