Broccoli Tofu Stir-fry with Peanut Sauce
Rice or other grain (put on a pot before you start) ¾ tsp salt
1 lb firm tofu 2 scallions, minced
1 lb broccoli (about 3 heads) Spicy Peanut Sauce (below)
1 to 2 Tbsp peanut oil 1 cup peanuts, toasted (optional)
2 cups chopped onion
1 Tbsp grated ginger
4 cloves garlic, minced
1) Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and place them in sauce-pan. Just cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, then drain. While it cooks, move on to next steps.
2) Trim and discard broccoli stems. Coarsely chop the florets.
3) Heat a large wok or skillet on medium high heat. After a minute, add oil and onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
4) Add broccoli, ginger, garlic, and salt. Continue to stir-fry over medium high heat for about 5 minutes or until broccoli is bright green and tender.
5) Stir in the pre-cooked tofu and scallions (or leave the scallion for people to add to individual portions). Cook a few more minutes.
6) Add the sauce, stirring until everything is coated. Serve with rice and top with toasted peanuts.
Spicy Peanut Sauce
¾ cup good peanut butter 3 Tbsp soy sauce
¾ cup just boiled water 3 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
6 Tbsp vinegar (rice or cider) cayenne to taste
1) Place peanut butter and hot water in small bowl, and mash together until mixture is uniform.
2) Whisk in remaining ingredients. Set aside until need for stir-fry.